PDA Fresno Chapter – Central Valley – Sierra Progressives
By Judy Hess, Associate Director – Field Operations – Progressive Democrats of America
PDA Fresno Chapter – Central Valley-Sierra Progressives
Our PDA Chapter in Fresno celebrated its 5th Anniversary on Wednesday, January 25, 2017.
In these 5 years, we have done quite a lot, but we need and want to do more!
As we invited members to our birthday party, we reflected,
Some of our Accomplishments in these years:
- We’ve had 58 PDA Meetings
- We’ve hand-delivered 198 letters to Senators and Members of Congress
- We’ve helped elect, re-elect, and brought or are bringing 38 PDA Chapter Members as Delegates from our Assembly District (AD-23,) and this year, the Executive Board Representative to the California Convention on the Progressive Slate – (3 election cycles now!)
- We brought a team, participated, enjoyed, and helped with PDA’s 2 fundraisers in Beverly Hills
- Our volunteer teams had great conversations at Mimi Kennedy‘s home, at the sleepovers there, with the likes of Mimi herself, our own late Tim Carpenter, Conor Boylan, John Nichols of the Nation Magazine, Thom Hartmann, Jim Hightower, and other great minds
- We sent a volunteer team to Los Angeles for our event at the Musicians Union, March 29, 2015 – the culmination of PDA’s efforts to recruit Senator Bernie Sanders to run for President (he said that event helped put him over the top)
- We helped elect 2 Chapter Members as Delegates for Bernie to Philadelphia from California’s 22nd Congressional District – Yamina Roland and Bill Hess
- Worked and volunteered at PDA’s Progressive Central in Philadelphia and Washington DC.
- We organized our Election Integrity team locally, after the CA Primary, observed for hours and days the processing of ballots, and this general election, got the Secretary of State to require our Registrar of Voters to change the date of the random selection of precincts to conform with law
- Participated in any number of marches and demonstrations, including the Climate Marches in Oakland and Philadelphia, and the Women’s March in Fresno, where a record 2,000 people participated
- We’ve seen numerous documentary films, educating us on the issues of Healthcare for All, Economic and Social Justice, Stop Global Warming, and other pressing issues
We can and will do more! We aim to be more closely allied with our Issue Organizing Teams, participating in the calls.
In California, we are working with the Campaign for a Healthy California to pass legislation for single payer (Medicare For All) health care in our state NOW!
We aim to be more closely allied with our friends in local progressive organizations and in labor.
Our next 5 years promise to be eventful, particularly in light of the new paradigm in Washington. We expect protest and RESISTANCE to mark our stance.
STATE PDA CHAPTERS
PDA State Coordinator
Central Valley-Sierra Progressives (Fresno)
PDA Monterey Area
Ventura County PDA
Hae Min Cho
PDA San Francisco
PDA Oakland Chapter Leader
PDA Inland Empire - Riverside
PDA Inland Empire - San Bernardino
PDA San Fernando Valley
PDA Desert Chapter
PDA Metro San Diego
Lake County PDA
PDA Los Angeles
PD of Santa Monica Mountains